Civil Union License Information

Where to Apply - Both the partners must appear in person and apply for a civil union license at the office of the Jo Daviess County Clerk, Jo Daviess County Courthouse, 330 N. Bench St., Galena. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. It is important to note that a civil union license is only valid in the county in which it is issued. The application procedure takes approximately 20 to 30 minutes, so we ask if you will be coming in late in the day that you arrive by 3:00 p.m.

The following information is needed to complete the application

- *Full names of parents (first, middle, maiden, last) *State of birth for parents, partners *Current addresses of parents *If either partner was previously married or united, the date the marriage or civil union ended (month, day, year), the County and State the divorce or death is recorded in and how the marriage or civil union ended (death, divorce, etc.)

Age Requirements

- In order to be united in Illinois, you must be at least 16 years of age. If you are 16 or 17 years of age, your parents must sign a parental consent form in the County Clerk’s office. If it is not possible for your parents to sign the consent in this office, it may be done before the County Clerk in your parents’ home county. Contact this office for details.


- The fee is $50 for a civil union license.


- A couple may NOT be united until one day after the license is issued and must be united within 61 days from the date of issuance. Either a clergyman or a judge may perform a civil union in Illinois.

If you plan to be united by a judge, contact the Circuit Clerk’s office, (815) 777-0037, at the courthouse. Judges are available during the hours of 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Persons wishing to be united by a judge should make arrangements in advance.

After the civil union, the person performing the ceremony must return the completed license to the County Clerk’s office. If, for any reason, you are not united, it is your responsibility to return the license to the Clerk’s office to be filed. Under no circumstances should a license be destroyed after it is issued.

Illinois law does not require witnesses.

Certified Copy

- A copy of your civil union license issued by Jo Daviess County may be obtained from the County Clerk’s office. Requests should include the name of both partners, the date of the civil union and a fee of $16.

For Further Information

- Additional information is available by calling the County Clerk’s office from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. (815) 777-0161

Click here for a list of officiants and chapels that will perform a marriage or civil union in Jo Daviess County

View and download an Application for Search of Marriage Record

View and download an Application for Search of Civil Union Record